What is MSHA’s Silica Enforcement Initiative & ISO 23875?
“ MSHA's Silica Enforcement Initiative protects Coal and Metal and Nonmetal (MNM) miners’ health by limiting their exposures to respirable crystalline silica. This initiative has four components: inspections, sampling, compliance assistance, and miners’ rights.”
In September 2021, MSHA committed to review silica regulations in response to a petition filed by Appalachian Citizens' Law Center. The Agency concluded this review in January 2023 and is expected to announce a new proposed silica rule mid 2023.
ISO 23875 is an international standard that creates a consistent approach to designing, testing, operating, and maintaining operator enclosures with respect to air quality.
Maintain defined CO₂ levels.
Particle matter below 25 micrograms in 2 mins.
+94% filtration efficiency at .3 micros.
Maintain 20Pa cabin pressure.
Monitor CO₂ & particle matter levels with audible alarm.
The Health Impact on Industrial Workers
Most occupational lung diseases are cause by small exposure levels repeated over long periods of time, but even a severe, single exposure to a hazardous agent can damage to the lungs.
CO₂ levels and associated health effects
How Compliance Benefits Your Organization?
SUPPORTS NO-HARM POLICY
- Indicates your commitment to the no-harm policy, demonstrating a proactive approach to protecting its employees' health and safety.
- Compliance reduces CO₂ fatigue due to poor air quality, which impacts productivity and downtime.
EMPLOYEE RETENTION ADVANTAGE
- Social awareness plays a vital role in recruiting and retaining top talent. There’s a competitive advantage by promoting compliance as the standard approach for promoting worker health. Actions speak louder than words.
DEMONSTRATES VALUED WORKFORCE
- Good air quality in the operator enclosure is attractive to prospective employees and demonstrates the value you place on your workforce. The Sy-Klone® system allows your workforce to be in a cleaner, cooler work environment.
REDUCE DOWN TIME
- HVAC systems, cab electrical systems, and electronics are adversely affected by dust in the cab. By reducing dust concentrations in the cab, HVAC system maintenance and costly non-planned downtime is reduced.
Deliverables: NISS's Turnkey Service Solution For A Compliant In-Cabin System
Installation of an ISO certified Sy-Klone® pre-cleaner system.
GO-LIVE testing and Operator Training.
ISO Certification and Documentation.
Maintenance Exposure Rate Reporting.
Planned Maintenance Testing, Re-Certification and Complete Documentation.
A Successful Program is Determined by Passing MSHA’s Silica Enforcement Initiative and ISO 23875 Testing Criteria at Each Planned Maintenance.
Nasco Industrial Services & Supply (NISS) will give our customers the best products and services they can find globally, while providing the information necessary to make informed buying and planning decisions.